2018 Summer Dates: June 25 - August 17
The Mary and Frances Youth Center offers summer programming for rising first through ninth graders through two programs:
- Lobs & Lessons camps offer tennis, swimming, outdoor adventure games and healthy lifestyle activities.
- Discovery is a fun, challenging and creative middle school program offering a variety of in-depth experiences in science, technology, engineering, arts and health sciences.
- Weeklong, full-day camps for rising first through ninth graders.
- Breakfast and hot lunch are included for all interested participants.
- Participant drop-off and pick-up is at the Mary and Frances Youth Center. Transportation is not provided. View map and parking information.
Breakfast and Lunch
The MFYC partners with FeedMore to provide a breakfast and lunch for each child participating in the summer program. Meals are ordered in advance for the entire summer, which is why it is important for you to tell us if your child will eat a meal we provide, or bring his or her own. If your child is a selective eater, please consider providing their lunch. Menus will be available in June.
- Breakfast consists of white milk, fruit cup and grain (pop-tart, muffin, cereal, etc)
- Hot lunch consists of chocolate milk, fruit/vegetable and meat (baked chicken, mac & cheese, tuna salad, chef’s salad, beef tacos, etc); cold lunch (sandwiches) is provided on Friday.
- Discovery ONLY: Lunch is not available for full-day Discovery classes, but breakfast is available.
- Your child has three meal options: 1) receive both breakfast and lunch at camp, 2) receive either breakfast or lunch at camp, or 3) bring own lunch to camp.
- If you order a meal, it will be provided for the entire week. Children will not have the option to pick and choose which days they will eat the meal we provide.
2018 Scholarship Application
There are two types of scholarships are available:
- Individual Scholarship: Parent pays $25 for a one-week camp
- Partner Scholarship: Parent pays half of the registration fee for a one-week camp
Scholarship applications will not be considered until online registration is complete and the scholarship application with all appropriate attachments have been submitted. Do not wait to submit your scholarship application for camp, as all scholarships are awarded on a first come/first serve basis each year based on financial need.
- You do not need to pay the $25 deposit until you have received notification that you have been awarded a scholarship for camp.
- Only one scholarship will be awarded per child, per camp.
- A child may apply for a scholarship for both Lobs & Lessons and Discovery.
- For Discovery, a child may only receive a scholarship for one of the four weeks of camp.
- Once a scholarship application has been received, families will be notified within two weeks as to the status of their application.
- Once a scholarship is awarded, families will have two weeks to submit the full payment.
- Discovery Participants: If you choose Healthy Lifestyles, there will be an additional $15 fee for the extended day. This fee is considered part of your full payment and is due within two weeks of being awarded. This fee can be mailed or dropped off in person.
Download the MFYC Summer Scholarship Application (PDF).
Payment Policy (Non-Scholarship)
- A $25 deposit is required when registering to hold your child's spot in camp.
- You will have two weeks from the date you registered to make the remaining payment.
- If payment is not received, you will be notified via e-mail and your child will move to the wait list for the camp they are registered for.
- If you are on the wait list, we will notify you as soon as possible if a spot opens up in camp. If you accept the spot, you have two weeks from date of acceptance to make payment.
Looking for more? Download the VCU Summer Youth Programs guide here.