2017 Dates: July 24 - August 18
Discovery is a fun, challenging and creative summer program offering a variety of in-depth experiences in science, technology, engineering, arts and health sciences while experiencing a college setting. Each full-day, week-long camp is designed to challenge rising 6th through 8th graders to inquire and create as they investigate the world around them. Classes are taught by VCU faculty members, university students and local professionals in university classrooms and laboratories on VCU’s Monroe Park and Medical Campuses.
The Discovery program:
- Uses an investigative approach to real-world problems
- Supports in-depth exploration and skill development
- Promotes healthy lifestyles and life-long physical activity opportunities
- Fosters collaborative activities and deeper levels or inquiry – “Beyond the SOLs”
8:45 - 9 a.m. - Drop-off/Breakfast (provided)
9 a.m. - Noon - Camp Activities
Noon - 12:30 p.m. - Lunch (provided for half-day classes)
12:30 - 3:30 p.m. - Camp Activities
3:30 p.m. - Pick-up/Healthy Lifestyles
5 p.m. - Pick-up
At the end of each day, youth will have the option to be picked up at 3:30 p.m. or participate in healthy lifestyle activities and get picked up at 5 p.m. from MFYC. Throughout the week, youth will rotate through a variety of activities.
- Tennis – utilizes the QuickStart Tennis (QST) format of play. Smaller courts, foam tennis balls and smaller racquets allow students to acquire skills quickly and have more fun playing the game.
- Swimming – will be held indoors at the Cary St. Gym which includes vortex, basketball, rock climbing wall and water slide. In order to use the climbing wall and slide, children must be able to swim one lap of the pool.
- Other activities - examples include field sports, soccer, basketball, etc.
- $249 per week if including Healthy Lifestyles program until 5 p.m.
- $199 per week if child is picked up at 3:30 p.m.
For more information, e-mail email@example.com or call (804) 827-3402.